Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Tuesday:planting grass & lessons in Buddhism

Today was out first day of work, which out group was assigned "planting grass". This is not what is sounds like! 

Many didn't sleep well due to all of the noises to be heard through the night. Gheckos, cicadas, crickets, bull frogs, cats (who get in tiffs) & 400 dogs can be pretty loud if barking or howling. Our treehouse has shutters that open to the open air, no screens or glass. We kept them open for fresh air, but it made for even more noise. There is a sign in the room that warns of a type of marsupial that tends to be found in the bathroom rafters at night as well. I'm in a real life zoo!
 
I slept like a rock! I was awoken in the middle of the night by one of the dogs who slept on our deck and out of habit shut the window, which is just a shutter so this provided little noise reduction. The best was being awoken by a trumpeting elephant. Seriously?! How many times in my life will that happen? I automatically smiled.
 
Walking to the steps of the platform. 

After breaky we met to head out for out job which is in the nearby city. Sarah, my roomie, and I volunteered to ride in the back of the truck. Another surreal moment, riding in the back of a pick up with 3 Thai women,  a dozen grain bags full of grass shoots (looks just like bamboo) through the jungle hills of Thailand! Amazing!! Funny, there are animal crossing signs for elephants. And for the record-I AM ALIVE!! Moms, don't worry! 

 Unfortunately I didn't take my phone so my pictures are on my camera, I'll post them upon my return. 

We planted what I would guess to be about 2 acres or maybe a bit more of the shoots. The field was in the midst of rice paddies, surrounded by mountains. We had string markers and our group of ten would put two shoots, facing opposite one another at a 45 degree angle into the ground with the leaves pointing upward, then move a few feet over and do it again. My back is in need of a Thai massage! Which they have here! It truly is heaven. 

This was an all day project and we were on Thai time which is very long and drawn out. Our break for cookies was over a half our, then lunch was well over an hour. We waited out a little drizzle under a roofed patio while we ate lunch as well. Apparently there was a huge downpour in the area of the sanctuary. Funny how we were so close, yet barely had any rain. Upon our return there were puddles everywhere.

When we were done we rode back in the back of an animal transport truck like this...
This photo was taken this morning of  some children who live here. Everyday they are taken to and from school in the back.  

Once we returned I rushed to my 4pm date at the river for bath time. 


Dok Mai again. I have a soft spot for her. 

After bathing Dok Mai quickly, I ran to bathe myself before heading to the conference room to listen to Lek, the founder speak. She is like Mother Theresa to me! I was nearly sobbing again at videos shown and her stories. She is simply amazing. She said we were all animal warriors and yet she is the ultimate. 

Not only do they have over 40 elephants, they also have cats, over 400 dogs, cows, water buffalo and pigs. The dogs were rescued from the horrific floods 2 years ago. That video killed me!  Lek also has several other organizations. Look up Save Elephant Foundation for more info. She is literally my hero. And on top of it she had 10 adopted children! She must never sleep. 

Lek. She has a kind, sweet soul. 

After Lek spoke we had yet another Thai feast. The food here is amazing and best of all I can eat nearly everything as gluten is rarely used. 


River, he snuggled between a fellow volunteer and I on the bench during dinner in the tightest space. 


He put his head on my lap at one point. Made me think of a sweet pup I watch back home, Riley who is in his last days. My eyes welled thinking of my favorite 3 legged pup back home.

His name is River as some volunteers were rafting down the river and he hopped in and came along, following them here. He must have heard of how amazing this place is. 

After dinner was our Thai culture and language lesson taught by our group leaders. These guys are hilarious! Can't say I remember much, but I laughed darn hard! 
Learning the "elephant song". Chang means elephant. Pronounced chaang. There is a dance that goes along and this guy (Chet) does it best. Hilarious! This truly made it feel like summer camp. 


Performing the elephant song.


We also learned the "banana song".
He proceeded to show us how a banana is peeled and untied his neon green Thai fisherman pants and shed his matching green shirt to show the exact same outfit underneath, but in yellow. He's a character! 

 


Today was a day of learning a lot about Thai culture with a focus on Buddhism. My inner 5 year old asked Jane, our group leader a million questions and he seemed to enjoy answering them. I learned men are expected to become monks before marrying, but after studying (college, or as Europeans & Australians call it, uni) or after being a soldier (which is required if not going to school). 



I also received a deeper insight into not harming animals. The sanctuary made so much more sense after our discussion. 

  Just before dinner. Not sure if its evident , but there are 4 cats here. And a sleeping pup!


This guy I nicknamed pirate as he has one eye. He was loving me oh so much and it soothes my crazy cat lady longings for my babay at home. 

If only I could bring him home! He is teeny! Probably 4, maybe 5 pounds. 


There is the crazy cat lady coming out, snapping and posting an excessive amount of cat pictures! 

I am headed to bed to the sound of rain falling from the trees. We had a good pour during our cultural lesson that soaked everything. I was originally hesitant to come during wet or rainy season, but I am loving it! 

I apologize for the endless spelling errors. Typing so much from my phone gets difficult! And my tired eyes aren't catching it all. I swear I am a college educated adult who can read and write correctly. Promise. 

No comments:

Post a Comment