Thursday, July 4, 2013

42 hours of adventure later

I knew I'd be racking up hours in travel time, but it's been more of an adventure than I had imagined. 42 hours total since leaving home! 
The most gorgeous orchids I have ever seen in the Taipai airport. Absolutely flawless. 
Auburn to Sacramento, to San Fran, to Taiwan, then to Bangkok. Once in Bangkok I hopped in a cab straight to the train station. I immediately headed to the ticket counter only to find out there were no available seats for the overnight train I had originally intended to take and had attempted to make a reservation via email as well (only to find out that doesn't actually work!). The next available train was 13 hours with no air conditioning and didn't leave until after 11 pm. This would have had me camped out in the Bangkok train station (limited seats & no a/c in the building) for 10 or so hours. Despite calling myself a backpacker for this trip, I am a tired pansy after the limited sleep in the first 36 hours of travel. My poor tootsies are sausages and this sweaty Betty hasn't showered in over 50 hours! If you know me, you know this is not something I do well with!
 
I left the station and headed to a street-side cafe offering free wifi with the purchase of my first authentic Thai iced tea! I have been so excited in the weeks leading up to my trip about having the real stuff while here.
(Train station in the background)

 Although it tastes just the same as at home; the humidity, chaotic traffic zipping by (cars, busses, tuk tuks& scooters), incessant honking, smells of Thai food & smog made it the real deal! I started searching for flights and hotels for the night while sipping my first authentic indulgence. I can't imagine how I would have handled this situation without modern technology!?

I felt more at ease with the decision to spend a little more than I had planned and head back to the airport and purchase a ticket to Chiang Mai.   I saw quite a bit of Bangkok from the freeway in my two cab rides and that alone solidified my decision to leave this city ASAP! The flight is 1 hour and 10 minutes versus the 13-14 hour train ride.
 
The Bangkok airport made me so excited to get out and shop once I get settled in Chaing Mai. This was a fresh veggie stall where I purchased a good sized bag of dried mango and water for less than $2.50! Made this frugal chica mighty happy! 

Once arriving in Chiang Mai I quickly showered then headed out to grab a real meal (that wasn't served in plastic on my lap). My hotel is across the street from the bridge crossing the Ping River. Just over the bridge is the hubbub of all kinds of activity. As I was crossing the bridge I noticed there were police standing around (but their presence provided safety, not fear! All you mommas, don't you worry!) I then saw a small crowd gathered on the bridge looking towards the west side of the river. I looked to where they were facing and there was a little lit up "4th of July" sign, then instantly fireworks started firing off and exploding just above our heads. It was the most incredible way to start my time here, and by far the best fireworks experience I've ever had. Fireworks are one of my favorite things to see every year & I was a lil bummed I'd be missing them at home. We were so close you could feel it shake you with each one set off. This is when fear did get me a little, standing directly under the falling sparkles! But it was a night to never forget!! (And an A.D.D. Child's dream-sparkly!)
Absolutely incredible 




Once the works were done I kept walking to the night market where I was pulled to look at such amazing things-I will be checking a bag upon my return! (Mom & Lacy-I was able to carry my gargantuan backpack on all 3 flights!) I had to stop myself to have dinner as I had originally set out to do. My simple dinner of crab fried rice and water was less than $2.50. It's official, this girl is in frugal heaven!
 
Night market. For a girl who hates to shop, this is my heaven!
 
You can buy a variety of treasures and services. This one if for Jen, you asked for bug pictures & this is as close as I'll get! 



"Fish spa" I'm still on the fence about this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment