Monday, July 22, 2013

Monday: back home in Pai


My plane left at 8, leaving me in Chiang Mai at 9:15. I was konked out before we even took off. I awoke yet again to an awaiting breaky tray next to me. I quickly  grabbed a few bites before it was ushered away. 

Landing in Chiang Mai brought a sense of comfort. I really like this city, if I were to ever really like a city. It's got so much charm and comfort to it, perhaps since it's no longer foreign feeling to me. I asked for a taxi to the train station and was whisked down random back alleyway roads to the "railway station". I meant to say bus station. I need sleep. I paid an addition dollar something to get to the bus station. Dink! 

Bought my ticket and hopped on the 10:30 bus. Again, no English spoken. I was fortunate the first two times to have a window seat, not this time. The seats are extremely narrow and leave no room if you want to even scratch your leg. Sleeping was nearly impossible despite my falling asleep several times to catch myself falling into the aisle or to the 4 year old Chinese boy's face in my face or breathing down my neck-literally. I guess being the only American I am a sight to see here. Yes, I get grumpy when I'm tired and especially on a cramped bus. After our usual pit stop I asked to sit in the spare seat in the middle in the front. This kept me awake for the remaining hour due to excitement and the needing to balance and not fall into the driver's lap to my right or the Thai guy on my left. 

Can't quite capture the beauty of this view, coming into the Pai valley.

I immediately bought some new pants (laundry needs done!) upon getting off the bus and then grabbed a motorcycle taxi to the hotel. Den, the owner, saw I had returned and asked where I went. I answered the islands and he responded, "It's better here." Yes. Yes it is!

Oh hot shower! SO grateful to be back in this place and for the lasting hot showers here! I bagged up my laundry and walked it across the street to a personal home advertising laundry for 25 baht, half the price if the islands! (30 baht to the dollar)

I missed the beauty here, especially the flowers.

I headed to grab a coconut & jackfruit shake (smoothie) which tastes just like coconut ice cream from Earth Tone. The owner is so sweet and she is the only place I have seen on this whole trip offering gluten free. I wasn't hungry enough for her gluten free chocolate cherry cake, I'll come back for that! Pai's healthy eating is the best! 



I returned to lay poolside for about 30 minutes before the rain started.

I never enjoyed the pool last week as I was constantly doing things, not this time! 

Pai happy heart smile. This was in the light rain. 

I slowly ventured back to my room to rest since I never had much sleep.

Bungalow 9, same as last week.

Pairadise

I slept for a bit before a friend came over with food gifts given by monks at a local temple. We headed to the main little gazebo here and shared the gifts with a couple from Melbourne, Stephanie and Liam. We all say and chatted for a bit, watching a few doomsday YouTube videos with Den. He watches them a lot!  
 
We finished the night watching "seeking a Friend for the end of the World" on A mini DVD player. There is an Armageddon theme here. Hmmm... 
While we watched the movie I had a surreal moment thought while the rain fell, frogs sang and crickets chirped. 
I really missed how much I walk barefoot here, only wearing shoes when I have to.  



Home in Pai.


No comments:

Post a Comment