Sunday, July 21, 2013

Sunday: my heart longs for Pai


I woke up not loving this island life on Koh Tao, missing the energy of Pai. I should have heeded the signs of missed flights for my departure. Soooo....I booked a boat, bus and plane ticket back for less than 2 nights here on the island. Yup! I'm headed back to Pai, Pai (que "I'm headed back to Cali, Cali", despite it not rhyming) EEK! I know that is where I want to spend my remaining time. I had planned to finish relaxing on the beaches all zenned out before heading back home, but the young party crowd is not my scene and that is all there is around here.

Upon waking I went and had breaky, which is twice as much as in the north down here. After breaky I headed straight to a travel agent. Everything is booked, even transporation due to the full moon parties. There was nothing for today I was told, then the phone rang and the agent on the other end informed the girl who was helping me there was in fact a ticket. Woohoo!! I'm outta here!

Had to waste about three hours so I showered, then walked a bit and saw this beauty...


Then I got a mani/pedi in paradise. They give you tea afterwards, it tastes like fruit loops!

After my mani/pedi I went back to the cafe at Goodtimes and had a fresh coconut juice. I ran into Barbara from Scotland whom I had met in Pai. She was extremely envious I was headed back. She is headed to Australia at the end of the month to work for 3 months, then move to Pai for 3 more months. She was not pleased to be on a party island either. Was fun to catch up and meet some others she had collected along the way.

It's a rainy day in Koh Tao, little bit of a breeze.


Sairee Beach




You're probably looking at this wondering why I would want to leave. What you can't see is the mass of young, hungover people and trash everywhere. This pooch made me smile, so calm in his little hole amongst the chaos around him.


The pier where the boat picks us up, it's a 3 hour ride.




From the pier


I have never felt so much like livestock as I do on this trip. Loading onto the boat via rickety piers followed by even worse makeshift ramps. We pile our bags in one spot, which are unloaded into another pile for pick up in the end. It was lightly raining as we loaded.


Paid for the air conditioned room again, $1 this time. Finding Nemo was on for our viewing pleasure. The seats recline so far & most are broken, leaving you in the lap of the person behind you.


View through the dirty, wet window. Thank goodness for iPods and boat rocking to put you to sleep.



Sunset at our arrival pier where we had a 30 min wait to grab some fried rice & misc snacks and use the potty. The potties in these stops are always squat style, a basin in the floor-getting my fitness on doin' my business!


These are the busses we cram into, although this one is the VIP meaning more space and less passengers. I wasn't on VIP. The bus has the same reclining seats that put you in your rear neighbors lap nearly.


About 30 minutes in our driver pulled over to buy a flower garland for his mirror (hanging from under umbrella). I'm not sure what exactly they mean, but I know it's an offering. We also stopped to fill up on gas and have a pit stop for food and more squatters.

The ride was to be 10 hours, but ended up being 8. We were literally dumped on the side of the street in Bangkok, no one knowing where we were supposed to go. I grabbed a taxi for the 15 miles or so drive to the airport. That taxi driver was so energetic for my sleepy self! My flight to Chiang Mai is at 8:05, so I have time to kill!


Looking like a hobo needing a shower in the Bangkok airport. Shameless selfie moment! And yes, I'm wearing a swimsuit-came straight from the islands and in desperate need of getting laundry done! (& a shower)


Hobo here eating  pineapple out of...you guessed it! A bag! Grabbed this at our 11 pm pit stop. Thankful as nothing in the airport is open yet.

I am probably the most tired I've been this whole trip. So happy to be headed back to Pai for a warm (not quite hot) shower, fresh laundry, a comfy bed in a room of my own and most importantly relaxation! 

I get into Chiang Mai at 9:15, will then take a tuk tuk or taxi to the bus station and hop on the soonest minibus. Should be in my beloved happy place by 1 or 2! I'll be in Pai til Thursday, then head back to Chiang Mai for my last night, catch up on shopping and have a real hot shower. Friday morning I'll catch a flight to Bangkok and then fly home Friday afternoon! 

No comments:

Post a Comment