Sunday, July 7, 2013

Saturday Chaing Mai

I had big ambitions to do some river rafting yesterday until my body told me I needed to chill out. So I did. Walked around a bit then had a relaxing afternoon which included my $3 foot massage that was THE best I've ever had! These running feet are tight!

I felt like this guy

I am so in love with these little streets. And used book stores of course...

Picturesque at Ghecko Books

Funny lil cramped gallery 

Can't get lost if you don't care where you are. Wise words in front of the gallery

Canals everywhere 

This is a restaurant near my massage and lunch at "Country Bar". 

That is water that quickly became sweat. I didn't last long after what felt like a vigorous hot yoga session of stillness with my book. 

My first tuk tuk ride to the Saturday night market. The driver calls himself Johnny Thai. All he said to me was "gangham style" and "I love you". 

On a safety note: I have never felt more safe than I do here. And that is not to say I won't stop being aware! I am extremely conscious of my surroundings at all times.  The people are all so nice, locals and foreigners. I may be falling in love with Thailand! 

Family affair. The Thai culture dumbfounds me at every turn with how laid back they are in comparison to our western ways of thinking. 
Later in the evening I saw a mom hop on a darling Vespa wearing her baby in a sling across her chest.

From the tuk tuk, the moat that surrounds the old city.

An artisan at the night market. 

Entering a little food alley...

Coconut water from bamboo for $1?! Followed by a refill of the chrysanthemum  juice.

No, there was not alcohol in there to cause such a blur.



My fresh made pad thai for $1. 


These girls were advertising walking like robots.


The sights, sounds and colors are overwhelming on all of the senses. SO much to take in.


This looked like a cake, but was the inside of Palm Hearts that was simply steamed. A cake I could actually eat, but was too full to do so!




Little eggs sold everywhere.



This was one of a few blind bands. Many people post to a spot in the middle to perform or beg for money in some way.


A random dog show. I felt guilty for watching, but couldn't stop!


Tuk tuk again to Thapae boxing stadium.


Walking down the alley way to enter and hand over my ticket to my First Lady man sighting (of many in the stadium I soon found out!)

It's a huge building with tables everywhere and multiple bars surrounding the ring. It smells of menthol and smoke and is crowded with Americans in souvenir shirts purchased on the street drinking Chang beer.



Walked into a girl fight. They're brutal on each other!


There is music playing for the entire fight which I assumed was recorded. Then I looked around...this guy playing the horn thing must be so exhausted after 3 hours of this!

Teenage boys prepping to fight...



Teenage boys fighting


This was my highlight. They blindfold 4 men who then attempt to fight. Many air punches are had. The man putting the blindfolds on receives quite a few punches as well, then in turn tosses the men across the ring.


Absolutely hysterical. Dying of laughter.


Last fight was the best to watch, an American man and a Thai man. The Thai man won.

Tuk tuks are old news now! The bridge to my hotel en route to some much needed sleep! 
I slept poorly Friday night due to a hefty rain pour that sounded like hail and my roomie of a ghecko thought it sweet to serenade me. Thankfully I didn't really experience much jet lag since I flew through the night. 

Random note: I can't stop my Spanish, every time I am asked something for a yes answer I respond with "yes...si...chai!" (Chai is Thai for yes) it's quite ridiculous. 

3 comments:

  1. Jenn - Jimmy at my work has been to that restaurant up top that you went too - we will be following your adventures..He has been there and will hold my hand to see that you are okay! be careful! He says to always look behind your back from Jimmy Srithrongrung / Chris Cardet

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving your post Jen! Very entertaining and love all the pictures! Much love!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete