Sunday, July 7, 2013

Sunday in Chiang Mai

Today was a little struggle to get out of a bed, but I knew I needed an early start to beat the heat. Today is my last day in Chiang Mai and I was determined to see Doi Suthep which is on the mountain overlooking Chiang Mai. It's a mini adventure getting there...

Yet another tuk tuk ride to the "North Gate" which was about a 5 minute ride.
At North Gate you then wait until there are enough people to fill a "red truck" which fits about 10 semi comfortably in the back and 3 in the front. There was another young American couple waiting and we started chatting. He's from LA and moved to be with his girlfriend in Tahoe! Such a tiny world! 

Looking out the back of the red truck into the city traffic. I am amazed at the grace with which these people drive. Lines are loose barriers that are often crossed even when another car is in the next lane. I haven't seen or heard an accident yet!

My ride up the curvy mountain road. Needless to say I needed a while to get my stomach back! 

One of the first flowers I spotted on the mountain. Beautiful! 

Near the entrance (which is to the left in this picture) 

You walk up many steps, all framed in stalls selling souvenirs, snacks and birds. Birds in baskets. I wanted to buy them all and free them right there. They are sold to be released once you arrive at the temple at the top of the 300 steps. The stock of bird filled baskets are kept in plastic garbage bags behind the stall. My heart aches for this.

This guy sleeps undisturbed while thousands walk past him. 

Mid steps in the trek.

Working off that pad thai.

My offerings to Buddha.



And finally...Doi Suthep

The actual temple is in the middle 

The weather was much cooler up here in the clouds. Normally this is quite the view when the clouds aren't out.



Offerings at the base of a tree. The flower arrangement on the right was amazing.


People walk around and around reciting a written prayer.



Details 

Light your candles and incense 



This was the most beautiful of all of the Buddhas. 





Offerings for a friend in need 


Lotus (right) for DDP


Gold everywhere!




Love you, mima! This was at the entrance of my favorite little temple within Doi Suthep.


This was something about summoning the elephant. Had a very spiritual and tearful moment in here. Feeling blessed beyond measure.


Another few reasons it was my favorite.


Nothing but plants and flowers. Details.


The jungle behind


Rowdy pups playing and screeching in the midst of the temples.


Bought my mala beads from these two. Interrupted them on their cell phones playing games.




The rear of the main temple 


Crooked candle and incense offerings. Loved ones.

That pink lotus makes you really feel the meaning of offering...I could have kept it easily.


I think this speaks for itself.


A bazillion pounds of brass.


My 8 year old self was amused by this.


A little "George of the Jungle" theme song may be playing in my head here. And now it is in yours too!! You're welcome. 


My afternoon snack once getting back to town. Finally had mango sticky rice. Heaven!


Out of hundreds of tuk tuk drivers I happened to get Johnny Thai again! Gangham style all over.


Street side market devoted to nothing but offerings for sale. Entire stores of just candles of all sizes, even my height! 

Tonight I headed to the Sunday night market to stroll around (er...eat my way through) with a few other backpackers I've met along the way. 


Approaching Tae Phae gate where the market begins. It's a zoo!



Just missed capturing the lightening in the background.

Not long into our adventure into the market it started to rain. The rain seemed to make the experience quite surreal. Walking sometimes shoulder to shoulder with people through blocks and blocks of street vendors while a gentle rain falls. This trip is full of moments and this was one! 


 Black bean ice cream! Wasn't a distinct flavor, definitely didn't taste like beans. The after taste reminded me of the pink antibiotic liquid given as a child. When I was a child I loved that flavor, at 30 I don't appreciate my ice cream tasting like it.


These are both cuts of squid


More pad Thai! I can't get enough!
Only chopsticks were provided and it became a joke that I personally could not "chop & walk", so we decided to stop and sit so I could eat. Why not experience something only offered in Thailand else while sitting?!



I did it...I gave in to the fish spa!! I have mighty ticklish feet so this takes a few minutes to get used to. I experienced what I felt was similar to the soup nazi from Seinfeld and was told I couldn't eat my long awaited pad thai while fish ate my feet.


It felt pretty funny to have them nibbling, but after a while I grew antsy. It was 20 minutes & this girl doesn't sit still well. And I don't feel my feet feel that much different. Potentially a wee but smoother. Maybe.


I thought this was a mushroom in the middle. Uh uh. Nope. Intestine. Mmmm... The top is bacon wrapped mushrooms. I am avoiding anything I can't identify as I have heard too many horror stories. I had some chicken, but even then I am still leery. I had joked perhaps this trip would turn me vegetarian, now I believe that may happen for more reasons than I had originally thought.

I get picked up in 8 hours for Elephant Nature Park. I feel like a kid on Christmas! Apparently there is no internet at the park, so unfortunately you won't be seeing the beauties for another week. And then you will be BOMBARDED!! You've been warned. 

To bed I go! Loves to all. 


No comments:

Post a Comment