Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Monday: bus adventures to Pai

I awoke earlier than I had planned. Somehow in have been managing to get by on less than 6 hours of sleep lately. If you know me well, you know I absolutely need 7-8 for me to be pleasant!

My guesthouse didn't have much in the way of breaky besides tea and toast. Thankfully I had planned ahead and stocked up at 7-11 (or course) and a local grocery. Had my tea out front on a beautiful wooden bench. (Wood chair!)

Entrance to the guesthouse. Just a few doors down from the Main Street & it felt so quite and serene.

After breaky I headed to the grocery store to stock up on some scooby snacks as I was unsure when I would be eating again. Today I venture to Pai which is a little bohemian town in the mountains. The road has around 730+ turns, so motion sickness pills are recommended. 

I hopped in a red truck for about $2.50 and headed to the bus station. The bus station felt a bit foreign and reminded me that I am in civilization. Every sign and bus said Bangkok, not a single sign to Pai. After asking two different ticketing agents, I finally was headed in the right direction. The station I needed was across the street. I bought my ticket for less than $6 and was in the bus, leaving at 11:30. The bus is called a mini bus here, which is a 15 passenger van. Thankfully I had a window seat to myself, even though my neighbor was still pretty close to me. Not a soul on the bus spoke a lick of English. 

I popped my "less drowsy" Dramamine hoping it wouldn't knock me out too hard. Within 20 minutes I was out. Mind you sleeping in a skinny seat isn't exactly comfy. I was awoken about an hour into our 3 hour journey by a woman in the back row behind me yakking into a sack. This happened about 3-4 more times. Needless to say it was quite an adventure! After her sickness I had to pop another Dramamine to ease my stomach and nausea from the thought and potential smell. 

The bus arrived at 2:30 in Pai. Getting off here I felt a bit lost as I had no idea what direction anything was. The town is darling and oozing with dreadlocked backpackers. I headed straight to get a bite to eat and utilize wifi. After finishing my lunch I headed to the "taxi" hut and was immediately in what seemed like someone's personal car. (Moms: it was completely safe!) The van ride experience left me wanting to get to my room ASAP. 

My hotel is about 15-20 minute walk from town, called Aqua Resort. The grounds are beautiful, lush gardens. 

My bungalow





A bed that isn't as hard as a rock!

I immediately lazed on that softness and proceeded to fall asleep. Is finally catching up to me! There is no air conditioning here, just fans. I was abruptly woken up by what I thought was a piece of farm equipment from the rice paddy behind. Unfortunately it was my fan making an enormous ruckus! 


View behind my bungalow of rice paddies.

I decided to forgo the fan and let myself sweat in order to continue sleeping. Once I awoke I meandered to the bar which serves as the office as well to inquire about the fan and the fact that the wifi doesn't work. I was told I can move rooms tomorrow for the fan and that the wifi doesn't work because of the trees. At first I was incredibly upset about this, then reminded myself that I came here to relax and do nothing. That is the saying of the town, "do nothing in Pai". 


The grounds, my room on the right. 

I have had a relaxing evening on my cushy bed snacking, island planning and writing here. The rain came accompanied by thunder and lightening for over an hour. So soothing. And cooling! 

Off to bed I go under my mosquito net to the sounds of frogs. They sound so different here from home. Their noise sounds like the tubes you shake to produce an annoying noise from when I was a child. I'm finding comfort in them as they are taking my back to evenings at ENP spent with the group on the skywalk. 
 
I am exhausted to say the least, ready to rest up to explore this little gem of a town tomorrow. I intend to leave on Wednesday to head to the anxiously awaited islands! And hopefully will take a less windy way down south via flight out of here. Anything to avoid yakking! 

No comments:

Post a Comment