Friday, July 5, 2013

First day in Chiang Mai; self guided walking tour



The first temple I visited(I don't remember the name).
Never knew Donald was Buddhist!? 
My first time inside a temple! Little did I know this would become old news through my walking tour of town. Women must cover their shoulders and sit in the mermaid position with their feet under/off to the side. Everyone takes their shoes off before entering (even the bathrooms!! Ewwwww)
A few of my favorite things #crazycatlady

Sculpting 



Next I went to Wat Phra Singh. Amazing!!



The most revered Buddha image (Phra Singh) in Chiang Mai. It's gargantuan, this angle does little for the size.

The monks were performing a chant as I entered. They're sitting to the left of the large Buddha. 
As I was exiting this was my view. Am I really in Thailand?! 
This was the sign for the bathroom at Wat Chedi Luang. My Tre Pazzi girls will appreciate this...I love amway!
This used to be the tallest structure in Chaing Mai before condo towers. Phra Kaew, the famed emerald Buddha was once housed here, but it now stays in Bangkok as a national symbol of Thai Buddhism.

Darn that scamp!


A cloud lover's dream sky today.








Is this real life?!?






Next I visited Wat Phan Tao known for its "classic Lanna style" of carved teak inherited from the Burmese. 




I was two seconds too late of capturing this lil Monk checking his face in the bike's mirror.

Lets play, spot the puppy! Can you find him?
Where the monks reside.

I met a fellow backpacker and we wandered the streets of Chiang Mai for a few hours...

I do not know this man, but it captures the backpacker scene well, most likely with a scooter ride injury.


Monks, motor bikes, and beautiful architecture in the midst of the city life.


Them clouds have me mesmerized! 






Women are also to step off of the sidewalk if a Monk is walking towards her. Unfortunately I forgot until after a few times.


One last random temple shot.





And I'm off for a nap!

1 comment:

  1. Glad you're having a great time, Jen. We are enjoying your photos and comments!

    ReplyDelete