Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Wednesday: New Year's Day

You'd think I partied like a rockstar last night and not like I was at the retirement home.

This chickadee was tired! Maybe jetlag is catching up with me? Or perhaps the first night I used ear plugs and slept solid. Enough about me being tired, I'm in Bali. 

I had my breaky early then climbed back in bed to read while the rain poured down and consequently fell back asleep. Darn! I awoke with a start when the young boy who cleans the rooms knocked. Using that adrenaline I hurried to get ready to go out and about. Today held no agenda which was fabulous. My last trip I tried to squeeze so much in and I consciously chose to not do that this time. 

It was raining, but today was my last day with my beloved scooter in Ubud so I carefully cruised town a bit. I ended up at the grocery store and perused the aisles. One of my favorite things to do is visit local grocers and see the different items for sale. And buy snacks. There is always room for snacks. 

After years of working in and smelling like coffee I have no idea why any one in their right mind would want to smell of it?! (this is body wash)

I finally ended up at Bali Buda for lunch. (Restaurant connected to the market). It was amazing! Debated adding another day in Ubud just to come back and eat here. (Not kidding) Had the gluten free caprese sandwhich and a chilled chai smoothie. All products are local and organic. Happy dance. 

Little banana leaf boat of oil & balsamic.

I picked up a bottle of locally made strawberry kambucha across the street at another little spot and headed back. Riding a scooter in the rain ain't so fun. 

I read some more and lazed on the balcony when the main guy in charge (who has been so overwhelmingly helpful and kind) came around the corner asking if I would like to join them for dinner as it was a special night. They had had a ceremony celebrating his daughter's 2nd birth "day", not date. Grandpa came around while we ate and explained that she was born on a Wednesday 205 days ago, making her two according to the Balinese calendar. She had a celebration at 105 days also, but will not have another until 630 days. Grandpa then informed me he is 100 years old according to the Balinese calendar, which is 70 American/western years.
 
The priest had come and they held the ceremony in the traditional ceremony building in the middle of the compound. (I didn't see this). Afterwards they shared a special meal which they then shared with the guests. There were two men from Austrailia and five Japanese people who invited me to sit with them. It was nice to exchange a bit, but I missed much of the conversation as they were speaking a lot of Japanese. Yoshi, the oldest of them is an ear, nose and throat doctor visiting with his wife. They have been coming here for 20+years and have become like family with the Balinese family where we are staying. It's fun to watch their interactions. Yoshi shared with me that the second youngest son of the family recently died in a traffic accident on his scooter. He was only 15. And thankfully I had just turned mine in when he said this!


Dinner clockwise from top: some kind of bean/nut with what I was told tempeh and shredded coconut, deep fried spinach, onion relish (that I don't eat), "special green leaves", smoked chicken, tofu and if course rice.

After dinner they brought around cupcakes.

Then fruit! Bananas (I was informed this variety is chewy, which doesn't appeal to me), oranges and "snakeskin" fruit. 

I headed to my room to do some writing when the main guy knocked on my door. He had been helping me to find transportation to Amed, an eastern coastal town earlier in the day. He had news that he found a great deal, but they pick me up at 7am. I agreed to this crazy time and ran out to get some moola. Apparently there are no ATMs in Amed so I must go prepared. 

As I was walking back from getting a few things and my money, I was stopped dead in my tracks by a streetwide procession. 

There had to be well over 2,000 people casually walking together through the street in traditional garments and some with elaborate costumes. 

A few wore giant masks that covered half their bodies. I saw an older man lighting a cigarette as he walked. This was so casual as if they were just walking down the street.

In the middle were a group of boys and men playing instruments (cymbals, singing bowls, giant gong-in the left of the above) and some were singing. 

Nearing the end. 

There were a few straglers and some who followed behind on motor bikes.

When I arrived back at my hotel I asked what this was and the main guy (I really need to learn his name already) informed me that it is a Hindu celebration of the "dark moon" at one of the main temples in Ubud. 
I was I awe of this random happening and so thankful for the events that led me into town when I had zero intentions of going out. 

The front/side of the intersection statue one last time.

Tomorrow I will head to Amed for 2-3 nights before most likely heading to Nusa Lebongan, an island just south of Bali (but still considered Bali). It is rumored the Internet is spotty, so I shall do my best! I am giddy with excitement for my next adventure! 




No comments:

Post a Comment