Monday, January 6, 2014

Monday: A busy day of nothing

For not having done much today, I feel like there is so much to tell! Guess when you start your day at 6:30 you have much time to fill!

I lazed around for over 2 hours this morning slowly eating breakfast and sitting poolside in my pj's. There are only two bungalows here and the couple in the other left by 7:30. All to myself! 

The hugest breaky yet! I asked for fruit instead of toast and was given a platter of half mango, watermelon and papaya.


I needed some movement so I set out on a 3 hour walk/run/hike adventure.

There are cows tucked away everywhere! I saw maybe 3 humans for the first hour. This place is so tiny and private. Many chickens pigs and cows kept me company.

Even the snails are pretty.

A glimpse of the southwest shore and Nusa Penida. These islands are used for a lot of agriculture, so there are many little roadside crops.

For the first 20-30 minutes I had no clue where I was, until I saw this...
We had driven past this mini Ferris wheel on my scooter transport yesterday. 

Although I have no map (there really isn't much to map), I just wandered without a clue of where I was going. Saw this babe who reaffirmed my love of pigs. She (or he) snorted for attention and attempted to get closer to me. The pigs give more attention than the dogs!

I hiked a decent hill (that was the normal road) and turned to see this, the bay between Lebongan and Ceningan. Unbelievable!



The tide was low revealing the seaweed farms. This is a lucrative business for the local people who sell the crops to Japan. The seaweed is then used in several different markets, primarily beauty products and carrageenan (which I wondered about recently as an ingredient in my almond milk). 

I can't get over how gorgeous this is. Or the fact that I just walked from one end of the island to the other in under an hour!

I knew the south side was near, so I followed a little trail only to find Crystal Bay. There were about four little deserted beaches, but one lone hut on the beach to the left. What I would give to be on one of those beaches!

This lil one was dead, but so teeny and beautiful!

The butterflies fluttered all around me. 

I turned to walk back to the road from seeing Crystal Bay to hear a cow bell.

My heart is full! This pretty momma was all about my snacks! Another memory in the adventures of getting lost!

I ran down the hill, now having crossed from south to north. I completely covered the island. Roadside seaweed business at it's best. Tarps lay everywhere covered in fishy smelly seaweed out to dry. (This was how the rice was dried in Ubud area)

I went to a local warung and had a mango banana juice (smoothie), listened to some Jack Johnson (so appropriate) while the tide rose. I could hear Balinese men chanting morning prayers during my entire 3 hours covering the island, such a beautiful sound. I soaked in yet another dreamlike moment. How is this real life?!

The shrine at the warung. The birds eat the higher offerings while the dogs forage on the streetside offerings.

Seaweed farms and view of the footbridge I crossed yesterday afternoon.

I followed yet another road and ended up at dream point which happens to be  just around the bend from my hotel. 

Secret Point in the distance where I sat and watched surfers and crabs yesterday.


I came "home" cooled down in the pool after 3 hours in the very hot sun.

Tuna with mango sauce, poolside.

I ended up with another nice shade of red this afternoon, complete with outlines of bows. (And yes, I had sunscreen on!) Proceeded to drift off listening to some music in the shade of my bungalow. Rough life.

I awoke and headed to the pool to cool my feet. The other bungalow has been rented today by Sarah, a 27 year old from Switzerland traveling on her own. We ended up spending the whole evening together talking, walking and eating. She is such a sweetheart. 

From the neighboring bed and breakfast.


Enjoying the sunset from Secret Point. 



I can't explain the massive gratitude that overwhelmed me here. Setting sun, massive and beautiful waves, the sliver of a moon above set to the tone of Avicci's "wake me up"-appropriate. My heart can not swell any more or it may pop!

We walked back down the road to the Flat Hill Warung (second night for me) and enjoyed dinner while talking about our countries. I enjoyed a seafood curry with hot tea. (Grandma here!) We came back to Dafish and booked my room for the next two nights on Lebongan! I adore the experience of traveling in another country, even if it is only across the bridge! New territory to explore!

I must go to sleep now listening to the waves crashing...


No comments:

Post a Comment