Sunday, January 5, 2014

Sunday: Bittersweet goodbyes to Amed

Leaving this place is pulling at my heart strings. As much as I try to not compare, I can't help think of the time I left Pai for a week in the Thai islands, only to return two days later. Amed, like Pai, is a must return spot.

I started my morning waking at 5 am. This is definitely not typical for me! That massage did me good! The power flickered a bit which spurred me to check the weather...no rain! I threw on a dress and ran out the door without brushing my hair or my teeth! 

I scooted around several bends before finding the perfect sunrise spot. It happened to be right at the Japanese shipwreck sight. Sunday's are quiet days since there is no school and it is considered a holy day. I was alone on the beach with only the crabs and these little blue-black tadpole like things. 






Some of you may remember I take my dad (who passed 9 years ago this last November) with me on my travels. This morning a bit of him joined the Amed Sea! I couldn't think of a better spot.  


No matter how often I do this, it is always a special moment.


 I savored my time then headed back up to my beloved scooter.


I found myself at another beach, enjoying the morning solitude. The roosters were just now starting to crow.

I encountered a dog gang on the beach, reminding me of the gangs of Thailand. The dogs here are more the "lone wolf" type than pack like, so this was rare.


Back to my little home sweet home to pack up and have a big breaky. Not sure when I'll have another real meal today. While I was having breaky the local yoga teacher I had asked about 2 days ago showed up to talk yoga. Bali time! This wasn't happening after a big beaky and an hour left before departure. He was a sweet soul, dying to share his love of yoga in this community.


Another sight while having breaky. This happens so much, women carrying huge loads on their heads. (I see men too, but more women)


The ants were packing up and moving out also.

Side note:
This happened this morning, thank goodness I looked as he was hiding between the plys!!

Oh jungle life! Thankfully it wasn't raining, so there was only one obstacle in the loo.


Bidding farewell


The owner of the hotel drove me to Sanur where the best harbor is. I wish I was tired so I could have fallen asleep as his driving was wretched. Incessant accelerating with quick stops and slow downs as he attempted to dodge through traffic on narrow jungle roads. I finally grew tired once we reached straight roads with flowing traffic, which was only about 20 minutes from my destination. 


There was a roadside grove filled with monkeys! They all had the grumpy grandpa face with Mohawks. See the baby?!


Forget the minivan, Southeast Asia does scooters. This baby could not have been more than 2 months old. Some parents will wear helmets, but leave their children's heads bare. This makes me so nervous with the way they drive.


Feeling like a kindergartner again waiting for my boat. In case I forget, I'm going to the Dafish Accommodation and I have one pack.


My boat is on the left, with Nusa Lebongan in the background. You take your shoes off before getting in the boat and put them in the green crate, which is then brought to shore for you when time to get off. You have to wade into the water to hop on, which came just under my knees.


Storms were brewing back on Bali, complete with lightening.


First glimpse of Nusa Lebongan!Oh these clouds make me swoon!

I took the more expensive of the boat options for its safety ratings and long standing reputation. Also for the fact it takes you to your accommodation on the island. When booking my hotel I did not know I was actually booking on the smaller, neighboring island, Nusa Ceningan. (They labeled It as Lebongan on the site, I'm not a complete airhead. Just a smidge.) The driver told me he could not drive there, so he would leave me at the bridge. This left me a little perplexed.


I am the blue dot. You can see the size difference between the islands and Bali (and I'm on the teensiest one). Amed was on the east coast, just above the direction arrow in the search bar.


These roads are worse than some of the trails I have run! And just about as wide! I sat in the front and saw so much more as well as talked to the driver a bit. Spotted my first Komodo dragon...in a trash pile!


And now I know why he could not drive me there, this bridge is narrower than the roads! The scooters crossing had to stop while we walked past. My head was racing with ideas of what this place would be like on the other side!


View from the bridge. Ceningan to the left and Lebongan to the right.
Once on the other side thankfully there were men on scooters offering "transport". Little did I know my home for the next two days would be so far back! I got quite the ab workout attempting to hold myself upright and ON the scooter with my huge bag pulling on my back as most of it was uphill on these torn up roads. Finally he stopped and put my bag where his feet rest. Thank goodness! I kept having visions of falling backwards into the road, then rolling downhill. 

I arrived at Dafish and was handed a welcome drink, which tasted like Tang (flashbacks!). I was then informed the Internet was not working and there was no food today. I got a bit nervous as there doesn't seem to be much here. The young man assured me there would be food tomorrow when his staff returned from the main land. He also pointed to a couple restaurants, one within sight. Phew! (And the Internet is working, even though it is a good break while on vacay)


My bungalow, complete with towel art!


Open air bathroom. The bathroom water and pool are all salt water. 


View from my terrace, ocean in the distance and the Palms restaurant roof.


The road...er sidewalk...er treacherous trail to palms. People ride scooters up and down this. No thanks!

I set out to get a lay of the land. The man at the hotel said there was a beach at secret point called "secret beach", so I headed that direction! I only walked about 5 minutes until the sound of the waves grew louder. Straying from the road, I followed a little dirt path to the source...


Blue Lagoon. I was completely jaw dropped, speechless. This ain't Pinterest either!


I can't get over this and have been revisiting my photos since leaving this spot. Surreal is an understatement.


After taking who knows how many photos I crossed the street to Secret Point.


One of the many diving platforms, waves, Lembongan, clouds and surfers. I  am not missing Amed!


I really am afraid of heights. Another platform


I sat on a wall of this dive point where they sell cold beverages and optimal views. Crabs were all over this cliff (if I remember right here was one to the right in this photo)


The waves would crash into the cliff providing a much needed cool down.

I headed to Secret Point Huts and Restaurant which you could see from the previous point.

Enjoyed me a banana Rama (banana, Kahlua, Bailey's)


Then to the pool for a late afternoon cocktail and reading sesh. You can hear the waves crash here, such heaven!

Dinner time came around and the young man offered to take me to a local warung on the back of his scooter. It is owned by his aunt and uncle who prepared a delicious seafood soup (veggies, fish, prawns and calamari in fish stock). They have an absolutely darling 9 month old boy who reached his arms to me upon seeing me. Oh Bali baby loves!! He was too stinking cute! 

The view from dinner was pretty awesome as well. I'm thinking anywhere you go in this island will be magically beautiful. You can see the lights of Bali on the horizon while candles flicker, Balinese instrumental music plays and waves crash. And then instantly there is the random firework that could not have been more than 20' away. Back to reality from that beautiful daydream! Know if I die of a heart attack, I will die in paradise. 😉

A different family member brought me back to Dafish as the roads are windy and narrow with zero street lights.

Having been up at 5am without my regularly scheduled nap has me zleeeeeepy!  I shall fall asleep listening to the waves.... 


This spoke to me after writing about attachment to Pai and Amed:





No comments:

Post a Comment