Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Tuesday: New Year's Eve

Scooter day! So excited to hop back on one of these South East Asian getaway mobiles! The thought that I'd get to ride through Bali a bit today on my own scooter had me up and at em bright and early. Not to mention I told the guy deliver it at 8am. What was I thinking?! Not even the rental guy was up that early-he didn't bring it til about 9:30. So I slowly enjoyed breaky followed by coffee on my balcony.

It was much prettier before I stole the eggs off the toast, attempting to not contaminate myself with gluten. Complete with tea and green juice! The young boy who lives and works here was so cute and meticulous when delivering and arranging this in front of me. 

Breaky view

I hopped on my scooter and headed out for some temples. First stop was Goa Gajah, or Elephant Temple. The name is meaningless and there is nothing to do with elephants here. 

With the exception of this statue at the entrance. 

Walking in-elephant cave to the left and the purifying fountains are behind the tree on the right.

The grounds are huge and lush, meandering through the hillside.

Purification fountain-you can wash your face with the water that comes directly from the earth. 


So I did! Sleepy, puffy eyes and all.

This was the most "spiritual" I felt  at either temple today. It was short lived. 


Elephant cave. 


Inside the cave were 3 small alters.



As I was slowly and peacefully meandering through the grounds an old Balinese man came and directed me to follow him. He started telling me about the temple in the few broken English sentences he knew. The are lots of bamboo trees here! (Was pointed to every bamboo grove there was.)

This man was sprinkling rice around. No idea why as the man guiding me didn't understand when I asked.

Kitchen for temple ceremonies. 

Rice paddies within the temple. Wooden carvings for sale across the way. We ended up walking that little paved path...

Or should I say running? He had me walking so fast as he rushed me through.




At one point this was some sort of large carving until it fell apart. "Broke. Fall down." as I was informed.

Seriously? Am I really here?! Wait, I am. Run on...

I'm going as fast as I can!

And this is the temple, called "elephant temple". No idea why! And yes, those are cigarettes on that little statue. So perplexing! 


Just a bit of the pathway 

Down the hill, where the carving "fall down".

More "fall down"

Those roots! I'm in love.

I didn't get to go see this as the little man was rushing me along. He turned to go up the steps and signed for me to pay him. Oh, I got scammed! So I gave him a couple thousand rupiah...and he was mad that was all. Lesson learned.

This made me giggle and fondly remember my week at Elephant Nature Park. This is said a ton in Thailand.

Next was the Holy Spring temple or Water Temple. I had no idea where I was going outside of some vague verbal directions and a hand scribbled map from the man at my hotel. I rode for about 25 more minutes from Goa Gajah and apparently passed the temple. A large man on a scooter came up beside me while driving and asked where I was going. Guessing not many Westerners drive past the temple. I was grateful, yet not about to get taken on another unwarranted tour! He drove ahead of me and showed me the way with a tiny Balinese woman riding side saddle on the back of his scooter into the temple grounds. I thanked him and hurried in, not about to go through that again!

The water here also comes from the earth. You can opt to swim and purify yourself here also, but I wasn't a fan of entering this water with who knows what in it! 
All must wear a sarong within the temple grounds, even into the water.

My love of masonry and stacked things was overjoyed at this wall.

Side area of the fountain not used. There are koi fish in the fountains, even where people "swim" as they say.

Confession: I'm not excited about Bali's temples. They do nothing for me unlike the Buddhist temples in Thailand. They're gorgeous in their own way, but emotionally I feel null here. Maybe my inner Buddha is fighting anything Hindu.

Offerings being laid out while prayers being said. They sell empty jugs for water to be taken from the temple, which they then bring into the prayer area where I'm assuming it gets blessed.

I turned from taking this photo and was approached by a teenage boy of Asian decent (no idea where he was from) and asked if he could take a picture with me. He was part of a large group of teenagers who all looked on and giggled. I asked "why?" after being scammed at the last temple and he said "because you're cute and I want photo with you." Apparently my whiteness is something to be seen. His little female friend then had her picture with me also. 
I was asked again later at lunch for another photo. Maybe I need to look in the mirror?! Is there something on my face?

Jackfruit complete with gecko (top left)

My heart goes pitter patter at the wall, then stops when I see the gargantuan spider above. 

My heart aches for these obese koi. Tourists are constantly feeding them processed junk food of chips and crackers.

Beautiful Banyan tree on my way out. Not to be rude, but I'm over Bali temples. I need food and sleep.

My nap view, the ceiling to my room. It started pouring the minute I stepped inside. So thankful as I didn't want to be driving in it! 

I walked into town tonight, feeling the need for some exercise after scooting through the hills today. Had a stir fried rice noodle, shrimp and veggie dish. The food is very simple here and lacking flavor. I have been having a hard time finding healthy snack options also. In Thailand I had no problem finding dried or fresh fruits, but here it is often processed items like chips. And everything seems to contain nuts as that is a main crop for the island, too bad I have such a problematic stomach! 

Just before dinner the rain started again along with fireworks throughout the city. Mind you it was only about 6pm at the time. 

I headed back to my room to celebrate New Year's right where I wanted to be-safe and quiet! 

My night of reading, "sparkling wine", passion fruit tart from Bali Buda and reflection...

I stumbled upon a challenge to reflect on the past year. Although I already did so in a post, this had some deeper questions that challenged me to think and walk down memory lane.

What did this year mean for you? Your goal?
Favorite exact moment?
How were you a better friend?
When did you feel physically strongest?
Best meal?
People who influenced me the most?
Where were you last New Year's?
How I spent my time this last year?
What was your biggest accomplishment?
Favorite song?
Favorite lyric?
People who knew me and loved me best
Most emotionally and mentally strong
Got over my fear of...
Favorite memory
Favorite place
How did you take a chance?
I became more...

All night I have been hearing fireworks and have had an incredible show a few times off the balcony, over the jungle. They seem to be growing closer and closer, more and more frequent. Each causes my heart to jump despite this happening for 6 hours straight now.


I intended to stay out here until the stroke of midnight, but someone was creeping on my space...


Those are standard sized bricks. He had a friend who scurried across the floor just before I snapped this. Time to run inside and slam the window shut! I will enjoy 2014's arrival from my bed, if I can stay awake!

...and I made it! Happy New Year, loves! Thankful for each and every one of you. For the love we share, the memories made and those that have yet to come. Cheers to 2014! My goal: to slow down and enjoy life in the moment a bit more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment