Thursday, January 2, 2014

Thursday: Living like a queen in paradise

There is no way I am awake and not dreaming today. I have found paradise in Amed, Bali.

A few last shots at Gurung Merta Bungalows

The rain was coming down all morning, stopping just as I arrived at the coast!


Yesterday was a day of big time offerings, I'm assuming for the "dark moon". All homes and businesses had large piles of wet remnants out front. 

The day my started uber early so I could be ready for my 7:15 van pick up. Myself and five others shared the 4 hour ride (an hour was spent picking up and waiting on others) through the jungles of Bali. 
 
Highlight of the ride: seeing monkeys just outside of the Monkey Forest in Ubud. It is a natural park within the city area that is inhabited with the cutest lil grey monkeys. I never went as I don't support such animal cruelty. Again, like the koi fish, these monkeys are fed too much people food which does them no good. So cute to see them on the rooftop (babies too!) and scurrying up sign posts. About 3 hours into the ride I spotted some near the road, closer to the coast. Hope to see them when I'm not in the car and freely roaming of course!

My driver was nice enough to take me directly to my hotel where I immediately was taken to my room. Such a relief I didn't have to wait until a 2pm check in time. I have a darling little bungalow with this view...

And I thought the last balcony was awesome?! Psh! 


I quickly changed and headed to walk the area to scope it out. 
I did and it led me to Amed! Feeling so blessed today. 

I found myself walking down the beach. The sand is so soft, it's like walking in marshmallows. 








Oh the colors abound!


I can't help sing a Franti song here..."one love, one blood, one heart, one soul, one drum and only one rhythm, one tribe and all of us singin'!"

Amed is spread out over about 5k, made up of different villages. It is so peaceful and quaint. Best part is no one trying to sell you something! 




I returned from my walk for a swim as the heat really warmed up after the rain.

I worked up quite the appetite walking these hills. This was one of the best meals I have had, fish satay and sautéed veggies. Accompanied by an arak (super strong local liquor made from palm), honey and lemon. This is heaven.

Poolside friend

My balcony over the Amed sea

Went for another walk in the other direction, more into town center.

Another volcano, Mt Agung.


 
This pup was so stinkin cute! Unfortunately he was very cautious and I wasn't allowed near him. 

Beebee goats!! Goodness I'm a sucker for the animals!



My inner Buddha is smiling here in Amed!

This evening I walked down to the restaurant here at the hotel to ask about snorkeling and ended up sitting and chatting with the workers for over an hour. Myself and one other guest are the only people staying at Acrya, so it makes it incredibly personable. They were so sweet and had so many questions, as did this 5 year old. It was so fun to just enjoy there company and laugh together. They make 600,000 rupiah a month which is about $50 US dollars. This dumbfounds me! This is another big reason of why the families live together. They could not understand why I no longer lived with my mom. It is so difficult to explain our culture of excess stuff and lack of close relationships to someone that is rooted in simplicity and strong family support systems.

I enjoyed a cup of "spicy soup" which was a chili pepper, garlic, onion, little oil and coconut milk with white fish. It was delicious! These sweet souls are making me love Amed even more! I will be staying an extra night just to soak it all in. 


No comments:

Post a Comment