Friday, January 3, 2014

Friday: Amed life

One day in Amed and I feel as though this is what I came for. I awoke to sunshine at 6 am feeling refreshed and awake! Laced up my running kicks and headed out to explore on a morning run. I've come to realize I'm not a fan of cities while traveling (or at home). Here I can run and not feel in danger of my life as there is a shoulder to escape to. The only thing I must be cautious of is not getting too caught up in the scenery and taking another tumble!

Early morning fishing boats. There was a table of local women behind me here that was carrying on like an American coffee clutch. I turned to see one woman slap another. There is nothing better than truly living among the people.


I can't wait to visit this place when it decides to open.


Perhaps I shall move and buy some land?


Local "warung" and it's keeper


This will keep you running for miles


Another thing I love about this place is that it is cleaner. There may be garbage laying about, but it is far, far less than I had seen in Ubud.


I'll never look at "pork butt" the same again. I've been sticking to chicken and fish.


Breaky for the goats overlooking the school. If only I could capture the laughter and joyous screaming of the children that carried through the valley. To the right a woman was toting a massive heap of greenery upon her head down the hill.


A few of my favorite things.

I enjoyed a small fruit plate and Bali coffee, or kopi as they call it, overlooking this beautiful sea and feeling inspired. I was waiting for this inspiration to hit as I have a little writing to get done regarding my time at Elephant Nature Park this past July ...stay tuned for that announcement! 😉

It's another scooter day! The forecast says rain, but the sun is shining oh so bright! I rented my darling scooter and headed to the local Internet cafe and wrote my heart out. The young man running the place was plucking his eyebrows using his phone as a mirror. This reminds me to do my own...


Headed to find "Smiling Buddah" for a local organic lunch. 
Saw this cuteness along the way, completely stopping my ride. Missing me some Kingsford snuggles right about now!

My whip for the next two days.

I belong here.

My lunch view. I am going to start carrying a candle with me at all times toward off  the flies. 

Lunch was simply amazing! Steamed banana flower stems in coconut milk topped with fried onions. They put these onions on everything and I can't get enough of them!

I thought this only existed on Pinterest. This IS real life!

Dem clouds


This was a mini meditation temple and cave at Smiling Buda.


Inside the cave

This place looks awesome, hoping to stop in tomorrow and try it out

"House rules"

Scooter selfies. I was attempting to find the "Japanese shipwreck" to snorkel and missed the turn off by a good 10k. I enjoyed the ride and reminded myself it's healthy to be lost once in a while. Plus you'll likely see something you never would have seen otherwise.


A lone goat tied up in the midst of nothing off the side of the main road

The road curves along the mountain side, each turn showcasing the next village and it's beach.

Another babe, all by it's lonesome

And then....
Grumpy grandpa monkey!!! At least that is what he looks like to me.


He was making the funniest faces at me when I didn't have the camera on him; toothy smiles, making eyes with his eyebrows jumping, mean faces...

Showing off



I really would have loved to snuggle on him but there was no way I was about to go near him. I also wanted to cut his rope and let him run free to his monkey family. Although I selfishly enjoyed being able to see him so close, my heart aches for his life on a short leash, all alone. 


I eventually found the shipwreck beach (was right in front of me, but there was no sign). I spent about 15 minutes snorkeling then headed to the next beach. The shipwreck was neat to see, but the coral had made it home and you could only see the basic broken lines. 

But the coral and the neon fish were even more awesome! I ventured to the beach across the street from my bungalow and snorkeled a bit there before heading back for a shower. Even better than the snorkel was witnessing a group of about 10 boys (age 5-7 or so) all drop to their skivvies or less and run right into the water. Their pure joy was infectious. 

I rode my scooter the other direction (north-ish) to see the landscape and scope out the area. I stopped to inquire about transporation to my next destination when a motorbike went wizzing by and a blur of a familiar face yelled, "hey!" It was Antinio, Michael's guitar tech who I hung out with in the group last week. Him and his beautiful wife and darling baby happen to be staying just down the road. Plan to go hang with them on the beach tomorrow. 

My evening balcony happy hour, Bali style. Hard cider and casava chips, kinda like potato chips but a tad sweet. 

My inner grandma is loving the peace in Amed, hitting the hay oh so early. Another early morning run tomorrow! Now if only I could maintain this schedule at home!


No comments:

Post a Comment