Saturday, January 11, 2014

Friday: Nusa Lebongan Life

Up at 7 am with a bit of a sprinkle. This called for a walk to Dream Beach which takes all of 5 minutes. Just before the beach is the local school as I mentioned yesterday. The kids are SO cute! Not only do they wear uniforms, but the girls all must have two braids tied with red bows. The children spend the morning cleaning the school grounds before their day begins. The girls have little brooms that look to be made out of something natural to the island that they sweep while the boys sit around or a select few pick up trash and such. When walking back from the beach and past the school again, the children were standing facing the school temple and singing their prayer. It's was such a beautiful moment to witness. And quite cute to see the wiggle worms in the crowd as well. 

Although hungry for breaky, we headed to the market. I adore local markets as you really experience the culture.
The boats come early from Bali and the market envelops the harbor wall





Those are bottles of petrol in the middle of the bananas. You can buy the necessities for cheap here.


I wish I had kitchen access here to cook!


Cutting into a jackfruit 



In my element




Grilled fish on a stick from a cardboard box anyone?


I bought two mangos from this lady for less than $1. They charge tourists more for everything. Gas is twice the price than what the locals pay. Even still it's cheap and my inner bargain hunter is happy as a clam!


Striping the leaves from the palms fronds.


Back on the scooter towards breaky!


 Detoured down a different road in search of adventure.


Getting lost is the best adventure! This sculpture was massive! Made of styrofoam and covered in fiberglass. So amazing thinking of how primitive things are here that this can be done. I recently attempted cutting styrofoam for my sculpting class, which was no easy task.  The details were incredible as well.

Never gets old!

Morning seaweed views of Ceningan.


Tide was high and didn't allow for the seaweed farm views I had sought out to capture.

When I returned to the hotel for breaky I gifted Kadex some of the market treats and he cut my mango for me in return. SO good! I continued to chow down on another giant breaky before heading back to town to negotiate a boat back to Sanur for Saturday morning. (Trying not to think too much about this detail)

I also intended to set up surf lessons, but was unable to as the one ATM on the island was bone dry. Soooo....back to the hotel! En route I met a traveller from Columbia named Gio who offered lessons that evening. Hmmm...
 
 
 
I found myself in the midst of a slight traffic jam of locals heading to temple. I slightly remember from last week (it's all blurring together at this point) that Friday seems to maybe be a holy day. The women are clothed in sarongs with beautiful lace blouses and some kind of sandals while sitting side saddle on scooters with baskets in hand. The baskets are filled with food and sometimes carried on their heads. The men sport a white button up with embroidery and a colorful sarong as well. All sarongs are neatly tied with a sash. Even in driving, it is a gorgeous sight to see.

Just as I returned the rain began and my tum tum started to act up again, a bit more than last night. I had another air soda and layed down for a bit. (Turns out air means water in Balinese!)



I had just wished for some rain this morning! Perfect lounging weather.

I needed to put some food in my angry belly so I headed to this view!


Veggie curry and rice!

Since surfing was now out due to my mild case of Bali belly (I'm assuming), I decided a massage was in order!


This is better than a tile floor massage! The bowl contains coconut oil with some kind of fragnance that leaves your skin feeling absolutely amazing. 

My massage finished just in time for sunset. I headed back to the cliffs from last night. I noted a sign calling the area "Devil's Tear". I won't go near that edge with that name!


A massive wave filling one of the many cliff side pools.


Such a powerful place. My heart is overwhelmed and loving this spot. I had another Dad moment and spread the reminder of his ashes I had with me.


Then sat and soaked it in, literally.


Looking back towards the cliffs from my scooter. So fun riding through here!

I headed towards town to grab a few things before I was without wheels any longer. 


Welcomed to the harbor with this beauty of a sky. Thankful. 

Bali belly and Friday night called for laziness. I lounged on the balcony and then in bed, catching up on some much needed writing. I'm feeling a tinge if sadness at the thought of leaving this little piece of heaven tomorrow. Soaking up every little detail. 




No comments:

Post a Comment