Saturday, January 4, 2014

Saturday: I could run 100 miles

Waking up before the sun has some perks! Up at 5:30 and out the door for a sunrise run and my first long training run of the season!




Getting up before the majority of the villages feels so sacred. 



No better truth!

Even puppies and chickens enjoy the beauty on the beach. (Or so I'd like to think)

The only traffic I encountered was that of children headed to school. They start riding scooters so very young around here. I swear some of these kids are only 7 or so, just cruising along! The children start school at 6am and get out between 12-1 depending on their grade level. And that is six days a week! 
I also passed what appeared to be a school bus, which was more a fenced truck bed with children packed in liked sardines.
I had one little girl start running alongside me, trying to race. We laughed and I let her win. Twice.



Croaked. This guy is actually dead. I see so many smashed frogs, crabs and even a baby mouse on my early morning adventures. 


These here are some excellent training hills! Perfect Way Too Cool practice!

Typical roadside gas station. I stopped yesterday at one of these that was positioned next to a platform filled with women and children. One mom sat topless while her babe feasted away. The little girl who poured my gas (I'm guessing 8 or so years old) found herself so funny saying "welcome!" As in "you're welcome". It was quite comical. 

This intrigues me. I may have to venture here for lunch, Good Karma bungalows and restaurant. 

Adore these signs. Especially "sun, free flow everyday" and "love: 0k"

The things you see! I adore being here as I feel truly in the Balinese life. Reminds me of my trips to Africa and Mexico with mission work. The children put a constant smile on my face, yelling "halow!" with such excitement to talk to a foreigner. I can't stop smiling when running or riding my scooter, but I need to be more careful of the bugs that make their way into my mouth! 

Local carving studio.



The artist was playing this beautiful instrument my first time by around 6am. The beauty of early Bali mornings!

Running through these hills inspires me for my upcoming races, which I desperately needed. It also makes me pretty darn hungry. My breaky with a view; vegetable omelet and papaya, pineapple, banana smoothie. If only every run could go this good!

I went to a local Organic cafĂ© for a little snack and this lil momma was sooo lovey. Crazy cat lady finally got some animal loves!

Soaking it up!

And of course, a picture of my food! Papaya, banana, watermelon and pineapple topped with yogurt and cinnamon chia seeds. I've been craving this. 

I found myself back at the pool enjoying being lazy. The other guest here is a Brazilian who has been traveling for 9 years. We had raw cacao and banana smoothies while sharing stories poolside. And as if two breakies and a smoothie wasn't enough, we headed to lunch. I love getting other people's suggestions of where to eat. We went to Warung Anak, a local place and had baracuda in the same spicey sauce of the soup I had the other night with chili and coconut milk. Had a taste of some delicious pumpkin soup along with a refreshing tumeric/ginger/honey drink. Soooo good! And all for about $4. I love this life. 

Across the street was a salt farm. This area is well known for it's sea salt. We were inundated with salt being literally pushed upon us by 5 or 6 people. Two had babies and said "for the baby!", this was the pushy sales I did not miss! Due to this I didn't snap any pics, but it is quite the primitive process. 

We also ended up at the local Bali version of Home Depot. I'm a sucker for DIY and love a good hardware store!


I would have loved to bring home some of the ornately carved wood pieces.

The view across the street from Home Depot. This place is magic.

I quickly scooted over to visit Kyoko and baby Leo as my day of nothing flew by! Antonio was out fishing, so we chatted about diving. She is an avid diver and encouraged me to try it at my next destination as it has a reputation for the marine life. I may just have to give in and dive! 

As I hopped upon my scooter it finally started to rain. The forecast called for 50-60% rain my entire time here in Amed, yet it did only one night. I was craving rain this morning (which isn't my style whatsoever) and it came! Maybe I knew it would enforce me to sit still since I obviously can not do so.

The water was a movin down there! Was fun to see as it had been so calm these last few days.
I had a massage in my room at 6 with Wayan, one of the staff members here. Just like Thailand, they need no formal training. Although unlike Thailand, this was the kind of massage I enjoy with muscle work and oils. I was felling pretty good after despite my new red skin tone from today's pool time. 

I showered under the rain (open roofed bathroom! And yes, even potty in the rain!) and had dinner delivered in. 

My life in Amed is running short, but I am excited for tomorrow's adventures to Nusa Lebongan. Imma gonna be on a boat! 



No comments:

Post a Comment