Sunday, December 29, 2013

Sunday: Bali birthday

Yes, I am totally milking the fact my birthday can be two days due to different time zones.

Birthday blessing one was a solid night's sleep. Slept like a rock! These late night dance fests in the jungle humidity leave me famished by morning. I headed to enjoy my last breaky at Soulshine. I have been incredibly blessed to stay in a place I thought would be reserved for only a once in a lifetime special occasion. Nothing beats morning greetings for breakfast by Michael himself.
 
I enjoyed breaky with some laughs and kitten loves 

This babe was back so I gave her some of Bulby's (Bulby York, another dj) toast. She ate nearly a half a slice. I lingered and savored the moment until I could no more. Time to pack up and start my next leg! This feels like two trips within one. 

My cab picked me up and we went towards central Ubud. I have been told it is similar to Pai, Thailand-but I haven't yet  experienced that. I am being patient and holding no expectations. There is a lot of traffic and my driver informed me that students have two weeks off for the new year so it is a bit more crowded in the streets, which still isn't too much. 

I checked into my hotel, but my room was not yet ready so I headed out to explore.
A scooter loaded with toy horns.

Goldfish? This really struck me as the man had built a rack on his scooter, so the fish go wherever he goes. I couldn't help but wonder what if the water gets too hot?!

Entrance to a home, yet feels like it should be a tomb or some kind of relic.


I stopped for an ice cream bar as it's hot and it's my day, so I can do what I want. This was on the shelves of the little market:
The name terrified me, but I tried it anyway. Tastes like a muted Gatorade and I'm sure I will be drinking a few more this trip with the amount I'm sweating. 

I found the infamous "Yoga Barn" and walked the grounds a bit to inquire about classes. Just being in this space felt amazing. They offer classes nearly every hour and I can't hardly wait to get my stretch on! I would have right then and there had I been dressed accordingly. So instead I indulged in this...

Birthday lunch and cocktail! 

I officially feel in my travel element, taking in all of the sights and smells.


These sidewalks terrify me, but Balinese drivers scare me more so I carefully walk them. The walkways cover a ditch of sorts-you don't even wanna see what hides in there-it's nastiness! I once fell into a giant storm drain on a sidewalk as a child, so I have a bit of a fear walking over these precariously placed removable sections of sidewalk.


I am determined to find out the significance of birds here! This was a little shop not far from my hotel.


Maybe I'll sneak in with wire cutters later  and set then free. Shhhh....


I wish I could furnish my home with goods from around the world. Basket shop along the main road.


Every intersection has a gorgeous statue. This is closest to my hotel.


Back to the hotel for a quick dip and siesta!


Entrance. Pretty sure it was meant to be  with the Ganesh (elephant god) front and center. 
Our neighbor is the police station, so I feel incredibly safe. (Not that I haven't this whole trip thus far)


Within the compound. So my hotel is called Gunung Merta Bungalows. It's is a traditional Balinese homestay which is like a compound for extended family with rooms for guests. It is gorgeous!! I feel removed from the city, yet so close as all is just a short walk away.



The infamous backpack/small child en route to my room.


The pool, steps from my room. I enjoyed a quick cool off before a much needed nap.


From my front door.


My own private balcony (left view) from the back door.


Right view. These "backpacker" digs ain't so bad!




Side note: remember I said I had fallen on my run? Well I have this beauty to remind me on my upper thigh (not my booty!). 

Side note número dos: apparently fireworks happen nightly. And here I had thought it was a welcome for me. Boo. It's sounds a bit scary when you first here it, before realizing there is no war outside these home stay gates.

Ok, enough rambling. After my nap I headed out to walk around a bit since the sun had set and it was much cooler. I did a little shopping and found Bali Buddha which is an awesome natural food store. Bought myself a birthday treat of a raw chocolate truffles and coconut kefir. Attempting to indulge on the healthy side. I then stumbled into a bakery that had a ton of gluten free goods. So I bought a cookie to enjoy with my truffle. Fat kids status! 

The absolute best part of today? Shortly into my walk I turned down an alley and spotted Nahko. I fan girled it up and asked for a pic. He carries such an amazing energy and love. He grabbed me and started dancing while waiting for the picture. 


Birthday dance with Nahko in Bali? Apparently this is real life, but I'm not sure I believe it. (Jen-the personality makes it even better! 😉)


I will now go to bed with a giant smile. Goodnight, loves! 






No comments:

Post a Comment