Friday, December 27, 2013

Christmas Day Bali style (& the day after)

As previously posted, I made it safe and sound to another beautiful location! Blessed beyond measure.

Not quite the "homey" Christmas I am used to! Morning cappuccino tree side at the Taipei airport.

Islands and volcanoes spotted! Almost...

This was the longest freeway right over the ocean. Crazy! (I ended up riding across this during the trip home. One of the BEST roads I have ever been on.)

I was hit with a wall of heat and humidity when exiting the plane. It's quite similar to Thailand here, yet even more lush. 

This was a beautiful sight to see on the taxi ride.

I made it to Soulshine which is a gorgeous resort just on the outskirts of Ubud in the village of Mas.

Welcoming you to the resort.

View of the rice paddies from the yoga room at Soulshine.

My first offering sighting. And know I've seen a lifetime's worth in 24 hours. They put these everywhere about 2-3 times a day.

Crazy cat lady here! This lil babe comes right to the kitchen every meal time. She's sooo incredibly thin. We snuck her some food. 

After a shower I headed out for a walk around the area to stretch my legs. A few glimpses...






I'm enamored with everything being covered in moss, makes it feel so old.




Jungle roads


What I have yet to mention is Soulshine is Michael Franti's own resort in Bali. I have been blessed to come here for a few days surrounding the festival. 

Last night we had a giant Christmas dinner of traditional Balinese food. (Which is mostly fresh fruits and veggies, some chicken, rice and a ton of chilies!) The power went out just before dinner so everything was illuminated by candles. A few of the other festival artists whom I love, Trevor Hall and Nahko happened to be sitting directly across from me at dinner. I can't believe this is my real life?! 
Fireworks were going off in the distance in celebration of Christmas. I now expect fireworks on my first night of every trip.
 
It was amazing, yet I was beyond exhausted. After dinner an impromptu dance party erupted and I headed to bead. No dancing on these jet lagged legs.

This morning I awoke to this...

After a quick cup of tea I set out for a run. It was so tough with the heat, humidity and intense sun-but I made it albeit drenched. After a cold shower I filled with breakfast of eggs and tons of fresh fruit (watermelon, pineapple, jackfruit, mango, papaya...so good!) then I finished with a glass of fresh coconut water while I chatted with Ethan (another artist) and looked for accommodations for later this week. I had to remind myself that this trip is to relax and not go, go, go! So then...



I laid poolside for a bit until I could sweat no more. Headed up to the kitchen for an incredibly spicy chicken salad before turning in for a nap. Unfortunately the nap didn't work out too well so I ventured to the store for some sweets and enjoyed some views....


Out front of a home. The traditional Balinese homes look like temples.




Stumbled upon this cuteness...

And he was generous enough to share the love...





I so badly wished to walk down these stairs!


Seems like a good spot for a nap


Note the dog chasing her on the scooter. The dogs here aren't quite as friendly as they were in Thailand, but they're not aggressive. Simply protective. As much as I'd like, I don't love on em too much as I'm a little unsure of them.


Another home


The specks to the left in this picture are women bathing while doing laundry.

This is the creek that flows beside the resort over volcanic rock. You can spot a young boy's head towards the end of view on the left. This is the local bathing, swimming, fishing and laundry hole. 
The water is so clear! (Kidding)


This is apparently the men's section, with the women up stream a bit. Unlike Thailand, modesty is not an issue. I have seen many naked Indonesian males in 2 days. A bit awkward! It's rather interesting to have hot showers just across the path, yet these poor souls must bathe in this. But they make it a grand time!

Speaking of the path, it's awesome. There are messages as you walk...






This sings to my heart each time I walk it.
Incredibly grateful. 


Later that evening a little acoustic session broke out. This girl is in heaven!!

Pretty much in my face. Such a great time of singing and laughing. Fireflies flying about made it even more magical.

A few of us headed out to Jazz Cafe to see Carl, the bassist play with a Swiss Grammy winning sax player. Was a great time with incredible talent. 

I am getting ansty being surrounded by people from home and can hardly wait for my time to truly experience the country! Being out amongst the locals today truly lit my heart afire and made me so glad I am able to travel. 









1 comment: