Saturday, December 28, 2013

Friday Franti Festival!

Today is the first day of the festival! I am beyond excited! Aaaaand a bit sore as I took a tumble on my run yesterday. But have no fear, dear mothers-I am fine! Just a little bruised and scabbed. And it didn't stop me from another run today! But today I was far more cautious and stopped to enjoy the views a bit more.

Never gets old!

The "trail", which is actually a back road, so cars and scooters are often present. A few times I have encountered children out on the path and they are darling. Yesterday a little boy started running behind me. Today a group of little boys asked where I was from and after answering "California", one said "I'm from Bali!". They found themselves in collective laughter afterwards. 

These stones, turn to this:

Simply amazing!

There are several of these shops along a certain block. I find it funny that they do not sell different things in the same areas. Often you will see the same things sold along one street, as though it is a collective specialty.


Cranes, cranes, cranes!

I like to think he was cheering me on and not barking at me.

This was a hidden little amazon I ran over.





How now brown cow? I don't see you at all.

They are not friendly like Thai cows, which made my heart sad when I attempted to feed one. 


Post run called for some delicious breaky.  
I forgot to take a picture when the eggs were present. I was starved. These "plates" of banana leaves are awesome!

This never grows old. I'm soaking it in before I head to my backpacker digs in two days.

Soulshine juice, a mix of everything. 

A few of us headed to the festival later than the rest. 


The festival raises money for a birthing clinic as well as a scholarship fund for the green school (google it, my pictures don't do it justice)
The main building. The entire school is built of bamboo. The ultimate treehouse!!!

Vendors selling all kinds of wonderful earth friendly goods that call to my hippie heart.

Stunning mandala of fresh petals.

The coolest, comfiest chairs




More of the school. There are 108 solar panels that power the school.


More of the vendors from floor two of three.



The main stage area from the second floor. Loving this!!


DJ Marco, he owns Bissap Baobab restaurant in San Fran by day. Sweet soul.

Went "home" for a nap and lunch before heading out for the night.


Walked in to Nahko and Trevor performing together during Trevor's show. I can't tell you all how much I enjoy the music these two make, brought tears to my eyes and touched my heart.


Turned around and spotted Nahko in the crowd. These two literally adore one another, it's pretty awesome to witness.


You can see Nahko front and center fanning it up for Trevor's show.

I headed to grab a snack and water in the chill out area (second floor of the main building shown above). I had the most beautiful butterfly that would not leave me alone, landing on my phone repeatedly while I went through my excessive pictures. Mom, I thought of you! 


And then of course my favorite! Local Balinese girls performing traditional dance to "The Sound of Sunshine".


Jay, the guitar player being carried through the crowd on Cappy's (Michael's oldest son) shoulders.

Michael in the crowd telling everyone to get down. Such an awesome performer. I was drenched with sweat by the night's end.

Then the concert was taken into the field. So. Much. Fun! 

I returned home and called to wish my Nana a happy 85th birthday around 2am Bali time. She was in complete shock I called her from Bali, then asked what I was doing besides drinking. I guess she assumed since I was up so late, I must have been under the influence of something.  I've had two glasses of wine since being here. This place and this music are like drugs for me. My soul is shining!

No comments:

Post a Comment