Saturday, August 23, 2014

When in Rome

Monday was a sad day as I did not wish to say goodbye to the Cesar Augustus or Capri. 

While waiting for the shuttle to the harbor this little gem pulled up. All taxis have the little canopy over them, but they are newer vehicles. All I can do is daydream of what Capri must have been like when this baby was new! 

Shuttles, ferries, cars, plains and taxis consumed Monday with travel to Rome. I hadn't wished to spend much time in Rome when planning as it seemed large city-ish, but it was a mandatory stop to see my cousin Darcy, his beautiful wife Valentina and to meet their bambina, Sophie who is the newest member of the family. She is just a few weeks shy of her first birthday. I was so giddy to see them! 



Then we arrived in Rome.

Oh.

My.

Dear.

I wanted to stay and soak it up! It was beyond magical! I took this photo not knowing I'd be looking down on it shortly.



View from the hotel window. That is the vine covered canopy I had just seen from the cobblestone streets when exiting the taxi.

We rushed to get ready for dinner with the Roman family so we could spend a little time waking through town.


Yup, this is real life.

This little store was an A.D.D. child's heaven with all of the colors of glass.


Secret alleyways 

The piazza was unreal!

This guy was playing "What a Wonderful World", my favorite! So fitting for this moment.



Crossing the river. The walkways below were crammed full of vendors, bars and restaurants. Made me wish I had time to linger and look! 

This restaurant had shelves of books to read! Yeah, seriously.

Such a fun restaurant! It was a bit touristy, but a good time and good food!

Our restaurant was on the left.

The restaurant across the way.

But the best part of Rome...
Sophie! (& her momma, Valentina)

Sophie and her papa, my cousin Darcy. She wasn't too keen on me holding her, but we shared a few laughs. 


My dear friend Bruna is from Sicily and insisted I see the Colosseum at night. I am so glad I listened to her! 


Lower right is a group of young people circled around and singing. Made this moment so surreal! 


To be here and know what a part of history this is was breathtaking. I am so blessed to be able to see this beauty around the world.


This isn't the best picture, but it is one of my favorite memories. There are cats every where in Italy, but they aren't all too friendly. This cat was the friendliest cat I encountered the entire trip. I sat and pet her while she soaked it up.

I was petting at cat.

At the coliseum.

In Rome.

How can this be real?!?

And with that it's time for some sleep. 
Goodnight, my brief night in Rome!
















No comments:

Post a Comment