Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Bonjourno!

You know those movies about Italy? The ones with the old men smoking cigars, people standing around having casual conversations as if they have nowhere to be (like, ever), children running through the streets, men meandering down narrow roads playing the according, and tiny alley ways adorned with the morning's laundry? Yeah, I live in those movies this week.

Ahhhhhh....Italy! After at least 12 hours of travel we arrived in Sperlonga, which is in the province of Latina along the coast. 

By check in time this girl was in desperate need of sleep and the weather knew it. Just as I came out from the shower, the rain began to pour. My all time favorite! 
The view from the room, overlooking a walkway through town. Unfortunately, the downpour could not be captured. 

First glimpse at town and it's just like you imagine! 

The "road" to an amazing swordfish carpaccio and my most favorite gluten free spaghetti and tuna dinner. All followed by limoncello of course! My heart and tummy are happy as can be.

The hotel is somewhere amidst the buildings to the right.

Tiny, twisting alleys have stolen my heart. I want to walk them alllll!!!! (one guess why I took the picture here)


{sigh} those clouds! As I was capturing this, the church bells were ringing just behind me. If you need to get ahold of me, I've died. And I'm now in heaven. 


After an amazing, full night of sleep (I can't remember the last time I had one of those), I set out on a run to see the town. 
To the left was dinner last night, to the right was my run path. How can you not be so enamored with this place?! The vines, the colors, the streets...ahhhh!!!

The tower of something. My brain is on vacation. 

Looking up towards the plaza where we had dinner last night. 



Not only is this place full of character and all around cuteness, it also possesses some magical powers. Time machines. Yep, you heard me. No joke. A glimpse into my future...



The most adorable little leathered skinned Italian woman feeding at least 8 cats in her house dress. If only she knew I understood her by that ridiculous grin that was plastered across my face as I snapped her picture. And yes, I diverted my run to simply pass her. 

No, really, it is straight out of the movies! 

You can see the tower in the far right. Along with the Isle of Ponza, known for Lucia Rosa who threw herself to her death into the water in opposition to being forced to marry a man she did not wish to. 



Just around the corner from the hotel I was wooed by the sounds of an accordion accompanied by random lyrics. Once on the balcony, cooling off from the sweaty run, he meandered through the hotel parking lot. He caught me videoing him and I immediately ran inside. He shouted for my return, only to greet me, "ciao Bella!" and began singing (if that's what you want to call it). He wanders below windows waiting for tips. Yes, this is real. I swear. I think my heart may explode.




A late lunch of seafood salad and an insalata mista was enjoyed over this... 
There were a few surfers in the water...really, my heart can't take any more! 


No comments:

Post a Comment